Affordable LVC Training
for Military forces
“live, virtual, constructive integrated concept …
is one of my top priorities”
Rear Adm. Michael Manazir, director of air warfare in the office of the chief of US naval operations
LVC Training is going to be the next big innovation in combat training systems. Live-Virtual and Constructive training introduces the live player using their real equipment in a simulated scenario, interoperating with others Live players using virtual equipment and virtual forces generated by constructive simulations. This blended scenario of augmented reality provides a more complete training experience to the live player. LVC Training solves one of the main limitations when training in mastering the last-generation of weapon systems: there is not way to provide live training scenarios with the right number and kind of threats that are useful to provide an effective tactical training to the operator of these weapon systems. There is an increasing difficulty of replicating high-end enemy capabilities — such as advanced fighters and surface-to-air missiles — with live “red” teams. Integration of Live systems in simulated scenarios solves this limitation.
"We can’t get there truly without LVC because of the complexity of some of these scenarios and the fact that we just don’t have the adversary systems to really stress out our aircrew and our systems properly"
John “Fozzy” Green, training systems lead on the US Naval Air Systems Command
LVC Training is easy with Simware
LVC Training is an evolution of distributed simulation and such as, it requires for the seamless interoperability of many different simulators and operational systems (weapon systems and their associated mission systems) in a common network. Big advancements in networking infrastructure has brought faster, easier and lower-cost networking solutions to the customer integrating voice,data, video and real time communications capabilities. But interoperability between the systems themselves remains one of the technological challenges till SIMWARE has arrived to the market.
Simware is the first one-stop platform for LVC Training. Simware is the first software commercial platform in the market with a holistic approach to LVC simulation. Till now, products in the market has been focused only on providing a partial solution to the many challenges still unsolved, but Simware is the first one that provides a proven and mature solution to the two main problems in LVC Training:
- How to deal in an effective way with multiple architectures and protocols
- How to provide a seamless interoperability for the standalone simulators
Dealing with multiple architectures
In a today's LVC exercise, typically you can find several different architectures and protocols requiring multiple bridges to allow systems to work together. In a médium-large exercise you can have a hundred or more of this kind of bridges or gateways. Normally these bridges are restricting the functionalities that can be shared between the systems, limitating then the effectiveness of the combat training.
We are solving this challenge with our Simware platform based on the Layered Simulation Architecture or LSA. Simware leverages LSA to converge multiple standards in a loosely coupled and pure data-centric simulation platform. Simware compliance with the two most important military standards for simulation and operational systems, HLA and DDS, allows to build very easily integrated architectures for LVC training.
Simware allows also an easy connectivity of legacy simulators, compliant with other common standards for simulation as DIS, CBML, JAUS, etc. to an integrated LVC architecture based on LSA.
Evolving your stovepipe simulators
When trying to connect legacy simulators in a LVC exercise, you typically will find that the simulator, even when it is providing a HLA, DIS or TENA interface, is not prepared to interoperate with other assets in the network. Features available in the simulator will be very much restricted because of the provided bridge. Problem is not the bridge itself but the propietary architecture into the simulator.
Besides to provide the middleware solution to connect simulators in the network, Simware provides a rich technical framework to develop any kind of simulation asset with an open architecture. You can find details about this development framework at SIMWARE CORE.
Using Simware, any asset will increase its capabilities when it is connected to the network, instead of reducing them as it is indeed happening with the gateways based solutions. In fact, Simware enables the development of Smart connected simulators as parts of an Internet of the Simulations.
Multi-Architecture LVC Training with Simware
One unique feature in Simware is the flexibility provided by Simware platform to deploy multi-architecture simulation environments depending on the specific requirements and scenarios to perform. Same Simware based solution can be deployed in many different ways. In these two pictures you can find the same federates deployed in two different ways:
- Main LVC infrastructure in DDS and secondary domain in HLA. For the case of large and high-performance exercises, demanding real time features not provided by HLA.
- Main LVC infrastructure in HLA and a secondary domain in DDS. TYpical of scenarios with many legacy HLA simulations but that needs real time performance for a sub-set of the federates.
System Engineering of LVC Training with Simware
Simware is fully aligned with the Distributed Simulation Engineering and Execution Process or DSEEP (SISO and also IEEE std – IEEE 1730-2010). Development process in Simware is very aligned with DSEEP/DMAO because they are sharing some key features:
- System of Systems focused, with support of multi-architecture environments.
- Data-centric architectures.
- They are based on the concept of reusability of assets already available.
To know more about how to leverage Simware in LVC Training
You can find many resources in this website that can help you to understand how Simware can be useful for your LVC training Project:
- At RESOURCES , besides the specific technical guide to develop LVC Simulations with Simware you will find more documents explaining the architecture and best features in Simware.
- At PRODUCTS you will find technical details about Simware portfolio and videos explaining how to build data-centric and interoperable simulations with our products.
- At PAPERS you have several papers and presentations made in the main simulation conferences worldwide that are detailing the state of the art of LVC simulation and how Simware is disrupting it.
- Visit our blog to know more about how the Internet of Simulations will disrupt the way to do LVC Training.
- Find below examples of how to leverage Simware in LVC Training applications.